Skip to main content

Huntington Beach Union High School District

Student Services » Work Permits

Work Permits

During school closures: The Huntington Beach Union High School District office will issue work permits to students. Please follow these instructions to obtain a work permit. Students can email completed work permit applications to

What is the Work Permit procedure?

Students must have a job offer from an employer before applying for the work permit.

  1. Please download the fillable Work Permit Application form at the bottom of this page.  If you do not have a printer, we suggest emailing it to your employer to be printed—hopefully, they will be happy to assist during this challenging time.
  2. Complete the form and have the parent and the employer sign and date their section. The following information must be filled out:
    • Minors' information must include Social Security number
    • Employer’s information
    • A parent or legal guardian’s signature for approval to work
  3. The final section is completed by the school district.
  4. Once the parent and employers signature is obtained in the appropriate places on the application, you may scan/upload or take a picture of the completed application and a picture of your ID to the following email address:
  5. You must then come in person to the district office with your parent or guardian to sign in the student section between the hours of 8:00am-12:00pm, and/or 2:00pm-4:00pm.  Please note that there is a 24 hour turn- around time for applications to be processed.  

The work permit will be valid through until August 29, 2021 (at which time, you will need to re-apply for a new work permit at your school site).

LINK: State & Federal Law (link)

All students under the age of 18 that have not completed high school must have a valid work permit issued yearly.