Skip to main content

Huntington Beach Union High School District

Student Services » Interdistrict Transfer Guidelines

Interdistrict Transfer Guidelines

*Due to School Districts being closed, the March 27, 2020 due date for all Interdistrict Transfer Agreements will be extended until further notice.

 The Interdistrict Transfer process applies to those parents who wish their children to attend school in a district other than that in which they reside. All Interdistrict requests must be initiated in the district of residence. Interdistrict transfers are valid for one year only and must be renewed annually. An approved interdistrict agreement must be in effect between the district of residence and the school district of desired attendance before a student can attend the desired school. 



If you reside outside the district boundaries and wish for your student to be considered for enrollment in one of the district's six comprehensive high schools (Edison, Fountain Valley, Huntington Beach, Marina, Westminster, or Ocean View), you must first be released from your district of residence by obtaining an Interdistrict Attendance Agreement

The process to apply for an Interdistrict Transfer to the HBUHSD for the 2020-2021 school year requires the following:

  1. An approved Interdistrict Attendance Agreement (enrollment release) from the district in which you reside
  2. Most recent transcript or report card
  3. Attendance record
  4. Discipline record - if a student does not have a discipline record, documentation with an authorized signature on school letterhead OR Aeries print out must be provided
  5. Individualized Educational Program (applicable to Special Education students only)
Schools and district offices remain closed to the public at this time, but site staff are working remotely and will respond to emails and voicemails. If you require any documentation to complete your application, please contact your school site/district of residence.
If you have all the required documentation, please forward the completed application to Chrissy Ferruccio <>. You will receive a confirmation email upon receipt. Acceptance/denial letters will be mailed to the address provided on the Interdistrict Attendance Agreement Form.
Update: Please note, although the HBUHSD will accept Interdistrict Transfer applications throughout the summer, school sites will suspend all new student enrollments throughout the month of July. School sites will resume new student enrollments on August 5, 2020.
For current Huntington Beach Union High School District students and residents who are requesting to attend schools in another district, please fill out the online Interdistrict Attendance Agreement form to be released from the HBUHSD. Please be prepared to provide verification of identity in a supplemental attachment as the student's parent, licensed foster agency or group home representative, or California Superior Court-appointed legal guardian.
Once approved, a completed Interdistrict Attendance Agreement will be sent to the email address provided.
If you have any other questions, please feel free to email Chrissy Ferruccio <>.