Skip to main content

Huntington Beach Union High School District

Student Services » Open Enrollment/Intradistrict Transfer Guidelines

Open Enrollment/Intradistrict Transfer Guidelines

An INTRADISTRICT transfer is when parents/guardians wish to register/admit/enroll their student(s) at a school within HBUHSD other than their designated "home" school.                                      

OPEN ENROLLMENT refers to the window in which the District allows your student the opportunity to register/admit/enroll to their school of choice within the HBUHSD. All students residing within the Huntington Beach Union High School District may apply for enrollment in any District school during the open enrollment period. You do not need to apply if you wish for your student to attend their school of residence/home school.

Open Enrollment is now closed for the 2024-2025 school year. 



If you've missed the Open Enrollment transfer period for your student, please reach out to the Guidance Office at your zoned residential/home school to inquire about late requests. Please note, that late submission requests are subject to individual review, and approval is not guaranteed.


Open Enrollment Intradistrict Transfer Status Update: Following the submission of your intradistrict transfer request, you can monitor your enrollment transfer status by logging into your Parent Aeries account.  For students receiving Special Education services, an additional review will be conducted by the Executive Director of Special Education Services. Families will be notified about their transfer request status after the final review is completed.



The open enrollment window for intradistrict transfers within the Huntington Beach Union High School District offers families who reside in Huntington Beach, Fountain Valley, and Westminster the opportunity to attend schools outside of their residential school's attendance boundaries. While every child living within HBUHSD boundaries is guaranteed placement at their school of residence, one campus may have a special program or focus that best meets the needs or interests of an individual student.

The following conditions also apply to open enrollment intradistrict transfer requests:

  • Parents must provide transportation.
  • Space must be available at the school of choice.
  • The transition from middle school to high school is not based on a previous/current school of attendance; it is solely based on primary residence address.
  • Once a request is submitted, the parent and student agree to commit to the school of desired attendance for one year.
  • There is no need to reapply if your child is currently on an open enrollment transfer; a new application is only required if you wish to change schools.
  • You must be pre-enrolled and have a valid HBUHSD student ID number to apply for an intradistrict transfer.
  • Students receiving Special Education Services require final approval from the Executive Director of Special Education.


For incoming 9th grade families, please note: Feeder (middle) school attendance does not determine high school attendance. High school students are assigned to one of six comprehensive high schools based on their residential home address.

What is my home school of residence?

To determine your home school of residence, please enter your home address here: School Locator

Questions? Please contact Educational Services at (714) 903-7000.