Skip to main content

Huntington Beach Union High School District

Student Services » Foreign Exchange

Foreign Exchange

Huntington Beach Union High School District (HBUHSD) follows strict guidelines for accepting Foreign Exchange Students. Please note that the HBUHSD is not an authorized SEVIS (Student and Exchange Visitor Information System) Institution and is not required to accept certain visas nor does the HBUHSD issue I-20 forms.

The HBUHSD only accepts Foreign Exchange Students through approved CSIET (Council for Standards on International Educational Travel) organizations/agencies. The HBUHSD only allows two Foreign Exchange Students per comprehensive high school. More information on CSIET organizations can be found here. Students must be entering the 11th or 12th grade only. Students who are 12th graders will not receive a HBUHSD diploma, and participating in graduation ceremonies will only be approved by the school site principal.

Applications are due to the Office of Student Services beginning the first week of May every year for the following school year. Late applications will not be considered. Applications must include the following: English Proficiency Level (SLEP or CELDT Test that has been scored), the date the student is arriving, how long the student is staying, what school the student is applying for, a full copy of the student’s application to the CSIET organization, a handwriting sample, transcript information, immunization records, and Host Family information. Applications that are incomplete, will not be considered. Applications must be for the fall semester or full school year, spring semester candidates are not accepted. Upon acceptance, the student will need to have a clear TB test dated no more than 60 days prior to the start of the Fall Semester.

The HBUHSD will not accept Foreign Exchange Students that have entered the USA and assigned to a "temporary" or "welcoming" home. Students will only be considered for enrollment into the 11th grade where they will have the opportunity to study United States History. Foreign Exchange Students are not eligible to receive a diploma from the HBUHSD.

Current HBUHSD Students wishing to study abroad

If you are a current HBUHSD student and are interested in studying abroad. Please contact your Assistant Principal of Guidance. Prior approval must be obtained by the School Administration at the student's home high school if you wish to receive credit while abroad.