Skip to main content

Huntington Beach Union High School District

Risk Management » Property & Liability

Property & Liability

What Is Covered

The District's general liability insurance program covers damage, loss, or injury that results from the routine operations of the District and its schools, and that isn't covered by other, more specific insurance programs. It extends to every school location and department and to every employee doing District business. Among the more common claims under general liability are:

  • Injuries to campus visitors
  • Damage to property not owned / or owned by the District

All claims that presented are evaluated on their individual merits. Filing a claim does not mean it will be paid.

What Is NOT Covered

  • Damage, loss, or injury not caused by the District
  • Injuries to employees working in the course and scope of employment - which are covered under Workers' Compensation, which is administered by the District's Workers' Compensation team
  • There is a Memorandum of Insurance Coverage that outlines more particularly what losses are covered and which are not.

On-the-Job Injuries

If an employee is injured on the job, call the Workers' Compensation Office at 714-903-7000 Ext 50372.

Any Workers' Compensation-related forms, including volunteer forms, should be directed to the Workers' Compensation Office. Reports of non-employee injuries or incidents should be sent to Risk Services.

Hazardous Waste Accidents

If there is a hazardous waste spill in your department, call Risk Management immediately at 714-903-7000 Ext. 50370 or by email at If a risk to life or property loss is present - call the police at 911 first.

If you don't have an immediate crisis - but you learn of conditions that can lead to one, call Risk Management immediately.

Risk Management also coordinates resources and training in workplace safety, illness prevention, and risk reduction.